SCHARP - Scholarship and Collaboration in Humanities and Arts Research Program
Provided in partnership with the Humanities Institute (UCHI), the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) SCHARP Awards aim to support innovative works of scholarship and creative activities in the arts and humanities that have the potential to transform a field of study, impact the common good, or chart a new direction in scholarly, creative, or artistic development. Proposal reviews will be conducted by a committee composed of representatives from UCHI, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and the School of Fine Arts.
SCHARP Awards will be given in two categories:
- SCHARP Breakthrough Award
- Provides funding in support of innovative and transformative projects in the arts and humanities that have the potential to make significant scholarly and creative impact. We seek proposals for projects that are truly groundbreaking and exceed the scope of normal scholarly / creative work in your field.
- Projects that transcend disciplinary boundaries, foster unique collaborations, or productively reshape fields of study/practice are strongly encouraged.
- Awards may be used over 1-3 years, including up to 1 year for planning and project development purposes.
- One Breakthrough Award of up to $50,000.00 will be made.
- SCHARP Development Award
- Supports the development of innovative research and creative works in arts and humanities. We seek proposals for significant and well-conceptualized projects that are still in the early stages of implementation.
- Awards can include support for conducting archival research; visits to museums, galleries, cultural sites, or performances; for activities that foster collaborative relationships; and other activities/costs that will support the development of the project (including department-approved course releases and graduate student support)
- Smaller projects, projects that are exploratory in nature, or projects that are already mature and need funding for publication/completion should be submitted for Scholarship Facilitation Fund awards.
- Awards may be used over 1-2 years
- Up to 8 Development Awards in the range of $5,000-$8,000 will be made.